Hiya!

Thanks for visiting the lair of the Guitar Weasel!
If you enjoyed this blog please visit our Oil City Pickups site where you can see and buy our full range of products
.

Friday 10 February 2012

Danno/Tele hybrid and P Bass pickups

The Danelectro Telecaster hybrid that has been taking up a fair bit of my time is waiting for its lacquer to cure before final clear nitro coats over the Daphne blue. For the uninitiated, like a Danno it has a pine frame and a Masonite top and back ... essentially being a semi acoustic without f holes. Ignore the front pickup 'rout' ... the intention was always for this to be a single pickup show-piece for my 'Hard Man' pickups.

Today I put the finishing touches to our first bass pickup prototype ... a split Precision humbucker:
A nice vintage 10.5k, it's round and growly with plenty of pop. I put it in the cheap Westfield P bass copy that hangs around and visits the odd jam with me (I'm not really a bass player, but I give it an enthusiastic shot). The pickup it replaced was a horrible ceramic magnet effort: much too thin and clangy ... you had to roll all the top off to get a nice chug, but then it turned muddy and muffled. Now the tone control works properly and it really doesn't sound like I paid seventy quid for it!

No comments: